Annie has her foal!

June 11, 2002

Pictures are at the bottom and will load while you read the story.

Calico was the first foal we bred; if you own him now, give us a ring!  We'd love to see what he's been up to.




Meet Our Horses

Horses for Sale

Foaling Stories

Cindi Long



Horse Related Links

Contact Us!
Email or
(209) 748-2658

Pay for anything here (horses for sale, boarding, lessons) using a credit card!

Annie, a maiden mare, became obviously close to foaling late Tuesday evening. Tuesday was day 337 of her pregnancy. We know this for sure since she was only bred once. She had bagged up very noticibly weeks earlier, and then bagged up even more the day before. The day before she had become very soft and jiggly in the area alongside her tailhead. On Tuesday, she was waxed up (meaning there were dried drops of colostrum on her nipples) earlier that afternoon. Once evening hit, she became very restless. I wrapped her tail and braided the bottom and bagged it. Around 8:30 she started pawing the ground, looking at her belly, trotting back and forth, and even seemed to be mad at whatever was causing her pain. She'd shake her head and even bucked a little bit. Then at 10 PM Pat saw that her water broke. About 5 minutes after that a foot was protruding. We were slightly alarmed, since you really want to see TWO feet, one slightly ahead of the other, not just one foot. The one that was coming out got out almost to the knee without any sign of the other front foot, but it kept slipping back in, so that was a good sign. After about 6 minutes of that, the next time it emerged it was accompanied by the other front foot. Whew. I noticed that the foot that had been out the farthest had a high white stocking going to above the knee. A Paint! But would he have more than simply high white on one leg?

Then the nose showed up. It was white on top and mostly white underneath also. Things are looking good for color! The two feet and nose went back in and came back out a few times. Annie then decided to lay down. More in and out to the point that I was about to take the front feet and pull (in a downward direction) to help free up the shoulders. Finally the shoulders cleared without my help (after maybe 6 more minutes) and the whole head popped out, followed (obviously!) by the neck. :-) There was a big wide blaze. The membranes did not break from around the foal's nose, so Pat cleared them away and he began to breathe. Then in one contraction he was out to his hips. Then in the next, his hips were out. I saw a sock on back and a white belly spot. We stood back and let Annie rest with the foal's back legs still inside her, but she didn't rest for more than maybe 5 minutes. She stood up, he slid the rest of the way out, the umbilical cord broke, and he was free!

Annie looked pretty confused. She hadn't nickered to him yet or tried to lick him. She wandered around a bit with the umbilical cord hanging out and the fetal membranes dragging. I got them and tied them up so she wouldn't step on them and prematurely rip the placenta from her uterus. We dried him with towels, checked his sucking reflex, lifted his tail (a colt!) He nickered to me. That got Annie interested and she came over and nickered to him. He spent about 20 minutes laying there looking all around, and then he started trying to get up. He was up in about 20 more minutes. At some point he got iodine on his stump.

He did not nurse for two and a half hours, though. We guided him to the right location and he looked interested but didn't really try. At one and a half hours he was sucking on various places of her body. Annie would get a bit nervous when he'd get close to her udder, and wouldn't stand real still, so I haltered her up and held her and it was then that he was able to get his first drink. Annie made very quiet squeals and at first even cocked her leg when he'd suckle, not so much like she wanted to kick, but more like she was bringing her leg inward to try to protect the area that was hurting. With time and with reassurance that standing still for him was the right thing to do, she stopped with the legs, but even this next day she still squeals a bit when he first tries to latch on.

The colt passed a lot of meconium last night without straining too badly. Before we went to bed he was passing more of a milk stool -- yellower, softer, less formed. Today he's got scours and needs some paste for that, sort of a Kaopectate paste. We also had the vet draw blood to check that he's getting enough immunoglobins from Annie's colostrom. The vet checked Annie also and proclaimed them both fine!

The stud owner came over and said he's simply beautiful, with very big bone, a cute head, and of course, great color. A total cutie.

We named this colt Cals Calico Eclipse. 


About 20 minutes old

About two hours old

About 9 hours old

About 13 hours old

The night of the foaling, the cats fight over the placenta the second it hits the ground!